READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY FOR BEST RESULTS
First part of the instructions are to assemble the HOLOFIL-cardboard device from its separate parts.
The second part of instructions are for how to pair the Bluetooth gamepad controller with your mobile device and use game settings to start playing the HOLOFIL-cardboard games.
The third part of instructions are about lighting conditions and brightness and how not to use the device to avoid issues in best visual experience. Optical devices are highly sensitive to lighting conditions. So read carefully.
The fourth part of instructions is about gamepad charging.
The fifth part of instructions is about the MXPlayer Mediaplayer we recommend to play 3D animations and its settings.
The last part of instructions are guidelines, if you intend to create your own 3D animations for HOLOFIL.
Read this if you bought your product before dec 2022
Before you watch the assembly video instructions, please check if you have any glue which can be used to glue cardboard. If its a thick glue its even better to level out slight uneven surface differences. If you don't have, please buy one. Ensure it can bond paper / cardboard as a material quickly, as some glues will not glue paper / cardboard material, even if they can glue wood, rubber, metal types of materials.
If you have our early device components (Before Dec 2022), there are two places in the end during assembly for extra strong bond you need to use glue. We would love to ship you a small glue pouch like in the picture above in our package, but transportation rules for packaging does not allow packing glue as it falls under chemical category and then it becomes an issue during postage declaration. Make sure you remove existing thin tape before gluing to get a firm adhesion.
Read this if you bought your product after dec 2022
For all product purchases after Dec 2022, we have got rid of gluing requirement (explained before) at two places in the end by providing a very strong thick glue tape that comes attached to the components itself. It will have RED color instead of yellow color as shown in the picture below. The aim here is to ensure you can glue it using this tape, however, the curved component part which has two thin strips of glue tape at two ends of rectangular strip (see below picture) might not hold and start giving up due to immense stress after a few days. This does not happen always as some times it can just hold without issues. We would advise you to then see if you can buy a strong glue that can glue paper cardboard material and use it to glue the curved part in the back, if it starts to loosen up. You can do it later and you do not need to do it during assembly itself, unlike our pre-Dec-2022 shipped models where you needed glue during assembly. Ensure you clean the surface to be glued by removing the old glue tape to ensure the new glue you apply bonds properly to the two surface.
The video instructions later, are pre-Dec-2022, so it will still ask you to glue these two components, which you can ignore, as in video you will not find the RED strong thick glue tape. But you will get idea which part was required to be glued earlier, that is improved now.
Mobile phone holder cut out instructions
Assembly instruction video
For better understanding first watch the entire video before actual assembly, to get an overview. Then before permanently fixing two components during assembly, first just try positioning them to ensure the alignment is perfect like a demo exercise, before you permanently couple them. This will ensure you are not making alignment mistakes.
READ THIS FIRST PLEASE - The backside curved paper should wrap around nicely on the back side curved edges of the main cardboard casing, without leaving any side gaps through which light might otherwise enter inside the device from backside. We have kept 2 mm extra paper on each edge side to give sufficient width for complete wrapping around the curved edges. Hence, ensure careful symmetrical alignment while wrapping the paper on the side curved edges, before fixing the paper permanently on both the ends of the carboard casing body with the glue at top and yellow tape at bottom. Do a mock exercise of paper wrapping fully correctly with a perfect alignment before permanently fixing the paper to the main body.
HOLOFIL-cardboard assembly instruction
Instructions for playing games with bluetooth controller
HOLOFIL app /game store is just launched and offers a range of consumer focused 3D content creation apps / 3D games that are specially designed for HOLOFIL-cardboard, but can as well be used for our business devices HOLOFIL. The plan is to release 15 casual games / academic apps.
The apps allow ability to create 3D content that can be further used in our products. The 3D games can as well be installed on your personal mobiles for touch interface and used interactively with a Bluetooth controller for direct engagement with the device.
Bluetooth gamepad will behave in haphazard manner once its charge goes low. So please charge fully if you start seeing unresponsive or strange behavior.
NOTE CAREFULLY from below the sequence to pair the Android and iOS devices, as they have different starting steps.
instructions for brightness / reflections / LED light
Device next to window with sun light
Device 5 feet away from window
Please operate the device away from direct sunlight as direct sunlight will throw away lots of reflections like you
see in the first image above where you will start seeing the black paper holding mobile getting reflected. In the first image above, the device is kept next to a big window with direct sunlight entering. Also please do not keep under spot light etc directly, but away from any kind of direct spot lights to avoid reflections.
For best results always operate away from direct lights on top of the device. Diffused lights are always good. Any kind of indoor light as long as its not directly on the device is ok. In the second image the device is just moved five feet away from the window and you can see the dramatic improvement in the cutting off the reflections of the paper.
Optical devices are highly sensitive to sunlight and its a common problem with almost all optical devices.
The LED light inside should be always switched ON during all types of device usage and should be placed such that its positioned (as shown in the picture above with the light ON/OFF switch side in the direction of the mobile phone) illuminating all the area inside uniformly, and does not excessively tilt to the back or the front creating shadows inside. So an uniformly lit area inside with LED light creates the best visual effect than only back or front illuminated area. If needed, try a few positions you feel comfortable with, ensuring it lights up the entire area inside without shadows in the front or back of device.
Position the light such that the light itself does not throw its own reflection in the device glass below.
Do not push LED in the rectangular hole, but gently place and leave it there without forcing it to fit inside the hole. It is not supposed to go inside the rectangular hole, but just rest there, and be movable to position in different directions.
Do you still get reflections?
1. Make sure you have cut the hole in the paper exactly only exposing the screen area so that the mobile edges are not reflected. If you accidently cut bigger hole, just cover extra hole using the same black paper you cut earlier.
2. Make sure you align the mobile holding paper in cage by moving it slightly to see if it cuts off reflections. The folded mobile holding paper needs to be always in a flat position in the mobile cage holder and should not be getting lifted. You can even glue the folded paper together to make two flaps always stay in flat position and not get lifted.
3. Make sure you have followed LED light positioning properly as described earlier in brightness section on this page.
4. Make sure your mobile screen brightness is at least 50% and the screen does not time out and power off.
Gamepad controller charging
Make sure the controller is always in the GAME mode by turning the switch on the side to GAME mode.
When charging the gamepad will show RED LED light on.
When the charging is full the Red LED will be off. The working time is around 40 hours once fully charged.
When on low charge the RED LED will start flashing indicating its time to charge.
When the gamepad battery is low on charge the controller actions will turn weird that it will stop responding to joystick, buttons in a proper way and shows arbitrary actions. It's also an indication to charge the gamepad.
Eventually if the battery becomes weak after extensive heavy usages you can always continue to play while the controller is plugged in to charge or simple replace it with the exact same from local market.
To start the gamepad controller with Android and iOS devices please read the instructions about pairing the gamepad controller as each step is different.
To switch OFF the gamepad keep pressing the start button for at least 10 seconds when the LED light should turn Blue and then turn OFF.
3D animations playback using MXplayer
1. Install from the above two links for Android or iOS for your smartphone platform.
2. To play 3D animations on your smartphone, we recommend MXPlayer as a media player to play the 3D animations mp4 files in a loop setting, so they keep on playing continuously.
3. Ensure your smartphone screen brightness is at least 50% for best effect.
4. MXplayer has its own screen brightness setting which overrides the brightness of native smart phone setting, so ensure the MXPlayer brightness from its screen settings is always full that is on number 15.
Problems installing MXPlayer ? - If there is any issue in installing MXPlayer, you can search for any video player that can play regular mp4 video files in a loop (repeatedly) in full screen and use that instead, ensuring the screen brightness is optimal. For example VLC media player should work as well.
generic guidelines for 3d animations creations
If you want to create your own 3D content. you can do it using the two methods as described below.
1. Use HOLOFIL-X app to upload 3D models and export simple 360 degree turntable mp4 file 3D animations and then play them in HOLOFIL-cardboard. You can find many 3D models for free on Internet on 3D marketplaces (Search Free 3D models on Google to check). Visit our 3D for kids tutorial page for 3D basics understanding such as file formats etc.
2. Use Free software such as Blender to build 3D models from scratch (like a 3D artist) and animate them yourself further and export a mp4 3D animation file that can be played in HOLOFIL-cardboard.
Below are the most common guidelines for most effective 3D animations that look best in HOLOFIL devices.
1. Always use Black background.
2. Keep the camera always in the front view as if your eye is the camera always watching the content inside. Do not do weird camera movements as your aim is to create a holographic illusion, which means you want the whole object to be present inside the device as if its really there.
3. Do not let the object go out of the visual area by cutting the corners of the visual area and always keep the entire object visible in view because that is your aim, to see the entire object to create the illusion of a hologram.
4. Be aware of the scale / size of the object to ensure its not too small or too big in the visual area.
5. Always use strong contrasting bright colors on Black background for great visibility.
6. Keep your 3D models well lit and ensure the models have enough brightness to make them look bright.
7. Avoid cluttering too many 3D objects in a single scene and keep the scene simple. Lesser the objects, better is the final effect.
8. If more than one object is in the scene, you can simulate depth by playing with the depth of field as objects come and go out of focus relative to each other during motion, or play with relative speed of objects to simulate depth cues for your brain to create a strong 3D effect.
9. As you get better with simple animations try more VFX effects with tools such as Adobe After Effects etc.
Some common softwares being used for content creation
Blender - 3D modeling and animations
Cinema4d - 3D modeling and animations
Maya / 3D studio max - 3D modeling and animations
Keyshot - Renderings and 3D animations
Adobe after effects - Special effects / VFX on already created animations, or create new from scratch animations such as motion graphics, particle effects etc.
Adobe premier pro - Video editing and special effects
Unity game engine - Unreal game engine - Interactive content that requires programming and interactivity such as with Bluetooth controller or otherwise.